Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dear Abby Heresy

And there it was, staring straight at me from the morning paper. The Dear Abby column. Today's letter was heart-breaking. But Abby's answer was so outrageous I almost choked on my tea!

The letter from the 15-year old teen girl said that she is bisexual and suicidal. She described hurting herself regularly. Dear Abby's response? She started with, "As you already know, your sexual orientation isn't something you chose. It is something you were born with ..." Can you imagine a more insane thing to say to a teen-ager? It's such a lie!

I have to confess to having been a regular reader of both Dear Abby and Ann Landers. Advice columns intrigue me. (I think they interest most people for some bizarre reason.) And something unusual has happened to my love affair with these two columns. As I've grown older and matured, I've realized how irrelevant they are. I've come to discern how lame their advice is. Occasionally, I see them dispensing advice that is not only lame and wrong, but downright dangerous. Such is the case with today's advice.

Abby referred this poor teen-age girl to several organizations that will help her embrace her perverted sexuality. The child is believing lies about herself, about God, and about sexuality. Abby did nothing to put her on the right path. Instead, she told her it's normal (i.e., the lie isn't a lie at all) and that she can embrace it.

Now as a Christian, I've considered that perhaps my differences with Dear Abby and Dear Ann Landers (sister columnists) stemmed from the fact that they're both Jewish. But I don't think that's the case here. You see, no one who reads the Torah or the Old Testament or any other part of the Bible couldn't be this deluded.

There is no way that homosexuality, bisexuality, trans-sexuality or other perversions of godly sexuality are endorsed in the Torah (the Jewish holy book ... which also serves as the Christian Old Testament). Simply put, it's immoral, ungodly, sinful, evil and just plain wrong.

I'd like to tell this teen-ager that there is hope. She doesn't have to feel this way. She is being deceived by her feelings and defined by her temptations. I'd like to show her the way out of this mess. Unfortunately, I don't have the influence. It has been given to Dear Abby ... who has squandered it by dispensing heresy.

Dear Abby is written by Jeanne Phillips, the daughter of Pauline Phillips, who took over the column under the name Abigail Van Buren. The Bible says that those who mislead others will be harshly judged. I suspect Ms. Phillips is going to have a very shocking encounter with our Maker one of these days. But the rest of us won't be shocked. We can see it coming in today's column!

Woe to Ms. Jeanne Phillips for intentionally misleading teen-agers by encouraging them to not only believe but embrace lies. Let us pray for the readers of her column who are being fed a pack of lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment