Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2008

Yogi Berra

I really like Yogi Berra, the sports star. No, I'm not particularly a sports fan. But Yogi often has had a way with words that seems to cut through the obvious to the truth of a situation.

Often he's said things that seemed silly. The irony is that when you consider what the man has said, you realize that it is true. It's kind of like the phenomenon of being lonely in a crowd. The statement doesn't make sense. But it is nevertheless true.

I think that's how it is with Yogi Berra. Some of the this stuff he says doesn't really make sense. That doesn't stop it from being true.

Here are some of favorite Yogi Berra quotes.

  • This is like deja vu all over again.

  • You can observe a lot just by watching.

  • If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.

  • It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much.

  • Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.

  • It gets late early out there.

  • If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

  • I made a wrong mistake.

  • Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel.

  • It ain't the heat; it's the humility.

  • The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

  • You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours.

  • I didn't really say everything I said.

Way to go, Yogi. Let's keep looking beyond the obvious for the truth, no matter how silly it sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment