Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

On Astrology

The news reports made it into the category called "news of the weird." Scientists have discovered that the zodiac signs modern culture uses are all wrong. Yes, you read that right.

It seems that when astrologers laid things out more than 3,000 years ago (before the birth of Jesus Christ), they were based on certain alignment of planets and stars against the earth. But over the years, the earth apparently wobbled a little on its axis. So now everything is off by about one month. My sign used to be Virgo. But not anymore. It turns out I was never a Virgo. Instead, I am Leo. (See the chart at http://www.abc-7.com/Global/story.asp?S-13828331).

I will confess that my reaction to this was similar to the reaction I had when the Catholic church did away with Purgatory (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article598134.ece). A type of sinister looking holy smirk spread across my face. I'd always known the Catholic theology had holes in it. Finally the pope and I were getting on the same page about that.

I've always loved Catholic people. But as I studied the Word of God, it became clear to me that they, for the most part, are a group of people living under deception. Worse yet, they are ignorant of the deception. They don't even know they are wrong!

And so it is with people who follow their horoscope, pay attention to zodiac signs etc. I've always known that was a farce. But the troubling part of deception like this is that it often feels as if its true. In fact, that's usually how the deception proliferates ... it comes disguised as truth.

I don't know if it's me, but I think I'm noticing a lot more posts on Facebook, for example, from people whom I know profess to be born-again Christians. They are posting their horoscope. They are asking people what their sign is. Is it possible that they aren't conscious of the fact that a horoscope intends to gain (or provide) insight into a person's character and tell the future of that person's life? Or do they just get that entertainment value out of it?

The theology of astrology (if you will) is a basic belief that the planets and the stars have power over what happens in our lives. Those who study this theology become experts. They can tell you things about yourself that perhaps even you didn't know. And they can predict your future. It is against this backdrop that the worst of them purport to give you advice and help you make important decisions in your life.

It's a troubling sign for me, to read these fellow Christians posting about their astrological signs. The Bible expressly forbids divination, sorcery, and hidden arts (Deuteronomy 18:10-14). God's people (that's you and me) are to follow only God for direction in our lives (Deuteronomy 18:15). Any other source of guidance, information or revelation is to be ignored and even rejected (Acts 16:16-18).

You see, the truth of the matter is that astrology opposes biblical teaching in at least two important ways. First, it advocates faith in something other than God, and credits something that God created with divine, supernatural power. Second, it places our attention on something other than God for our source of power and guidance. In fact, it denies God's perfect will for my life and His perfect control over all of my circumstances.

Christ-followers are to be reading our Bibles and praying every day. This is how the character of Christ takes over us. It is also our principal source of knowledge about how to move forward, what decisions to make, etc. There is to be no other source of such influence in our lives.

Consulting your horoscope is a direct and clear violation of God's plan for our lives. That the so-called astrology experts have just discovered a massive error in a so-called theology that is older than Christ Himself just provides further evidence of the futility of such wisdom. Think about it. People who have been following astrology for over 3,000 years have been deceived.

I thought I was a Virgo. I was told who Virgos are, how they function and predictions were given to me all my life. I've been told how to make decisions as a Virgo too. Then all of a sudden, I'm a Leo ... an entirely different person. What exactly does that do to an individual --- to mess with their identity like that?

The definition of who I am was decided on the cross. God knew me before I was even in my mother's womb. He had a perfect plan for my life (Jeremiah 29:11), and has provided me with His Spirit to guide me and help me make right choices and good decisions through out my days. So let us put away the entertainment value that we get out of astrology. It's like a false religion. Sadly, the further it goes, the more false it gets.

Fortunately, I don't have much stock in astrology anyway. I used to. But thanks be to God for revealing the truth to me, and exposing the lies I was believing. The thing is that I'm not rattled by this revelation of the whole shift in our zodiac signs which needs to be made, because it's been wrong forever. But for some of my Christian brothers and sisters, and for some of my non-Christian friends as well, they must be wondering what it's all about. Let's lead them to the truth. And in the process, we'll march right over the lies.

Now, my friend ... what sign are you? "Well, you see, I'm a sign of the cross!"

No comments:

Post a Comment