Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

Indebted To Unfriendly Nation

I'm not in the habit of posting or recommending what other people have written. After all, this is my blog, and so I quite naturally have an underlying assumption that people visit it to hear what I have to say.

That notwithstanding, there are times when I find that my voice and the voices of others are in unison. In fact, there are times when I think perhaps the other voices might actually be saying it better than me.

Such is the case on China. I've blogged before about the analogy I see between God's instructions to the Israelites not to make treaties or live comfortably with people who didn't share their (God's) values --- and the United States' increasingly common habit of doing exactly that.

I'm not picking on China here. I see similar analogies in the U.S. relationship with countries like Saudi Arabia and Japan. But let's face it, any treaties or business we've done with those other countries pales in comparison to what we're doing with China. In fact, it feels as if the U.S. is racing as fast as it can to a Chinese state.

So I ran across a columnist recently who took what I think is an unbiased look at American relations with China. She wasn't burdened with a Biblical perspective (as I undoubtedly am). And I didn't get the opportunity to brain wash her to my way of thinking. I've never met or even corresponded with her. Its all the more peculiar then that I'm going to recommend her.

Froma Harrop writes for the Providence (Rhode Island) Journal, and is published elsewhere as well. I believe she's accurately stated the truth about America's consumption relationship with China. And I recommend you read it at the link below. At the very least, it will help you become more educated about the situation yourself.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/12/21/can_we_break_the_china_habit_108303.html

If you want to read more about who China is, there's a comprehensive (U.S.) state department summary at http://www.factmonster.com/country/profiles/china.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment