Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shout My Sin

There are several passages in the Bible that give me reason to pause. The majority of them relate either to God's truth that plays out in my life today, or to God's truth about the future.

An example of the former would be how God confused all the language and communication at the Tower of Babel. An example of the latter are the predictions telling us how the future will unfold (i.e., End Times).

Why do I pause? Because these truths of God are so incredible. They simply amaze me. And mind you, I think amazing is an overused word in our society today. I sometimes wonder if we haven't lost sight of what amazing really is. I mean, God is what's amazing. What else could compare?

At any rate, there is something in Luke 12 that amazes me. It makes me pause. It makes me wonder. I suppose it could make me nervous or even afraid. Oddly enough, it doesn't. It just makes me stop in awe, as I consider what this will be like. It's a passage of Scripture that I suspect most people tend to overlook or skim right by. I've never actually heard any Christians discussing this. (I wonder that's because it's so sobering.)

So what does this ominous passage say? Let's take a look. Luke 12:2-3 says, "There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have whispered ... will be proclaimed from the rooftops." Did you catch all that? Read it again. Look at those words. What do they say? Do you get what they mean?


The time is coming when everything in my life will be revealed. All of my secrets will be made public. Whatever I've said or done behind closed doors, on business trips, when I was home alone, or even in the privacy of my mind --- will be shouted from the rooftops for all the world to hear.

So the sins of my life will all be known to everyone. And my secrets will be no more. I have no choice in the matter either. It's just all gonna be broadcast to the world. All those thing I've been ashamed to admit even to myself? Yep, they'll be broadcast to the world. All those dark places in my life? They're going up on display for everyone to see.

I was browsing through an old journal of mine, and found something that now intrigues me. You see, a little more than five years ago, I wrote about how this passage of Scripture was foreboding. Back then I wrote, "I have no choice in the matter (of Luke 12:2-3). God help me - as those will be difficult times." At the time, I thought of this verse as a verse of dread. I couldn't imagine going through something so awful as this.

I've apparently come a long way in five years. My spiritual growth seems to have put my fear in its place. When I read Luke 12:2-3 today, I don't find this nearly so intimidating. It is sobering, to say the least. All of my secrets, including my sinful thoughts, are going to be "shouted from the rooftops." Yuck! This is not going to be pleasant. But that dread of just five years ago? Today, not so much.

Today --- I belong to Him. Jesus is my Lord and Savior. He will be with me. Frankly, I can't imagine that anything could frighten me when Jesus is with me. I really can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)

Most of the End Times prophecies depict some pretty nasty circumstances. It is definitely not going to be pretty. But I will not be afraid. For He is with me. I will be right at His feet, every step of the way through those difficult times. And though the dark places in my life will be on stage for all the world to see, my Father has already dealt with each and every single one of them.

How about you? Where will you be when all of your sins and secrets are shouted from the rooftops for all the world to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment