Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Story of Jesus

I've been asked on more than one occasion to explain basic Christianity. It's a tall order, really. Everyone seems to have their own concept of what Christianity is. More to the point, most people seem to manufacture their own concept of Christianity - so that they'll all look to themselves like good ones!

But as I've pondered this question, I've arrived at a simple conclusion. The story of Jesus is the story that encompasses all other stories in life. No matter what the story is, it's built inside the context of Jesus' story. Without Him, there is no life. I know, that sounds radical, but hear me out on this one.

The story of Jesus is the story I've been looking for all of my life. Life wasn't worth living until I found this story. But for the truth (of His story) to result in His transformation of me, I have had to come to grips and make heart-knowledge out of five (5) fundamental truths from Jesus' story.

1. God hates evil. He will destroy it with His wrath.
2. Evil lives in me. It is my DNA. I am a sinner.
3. Being a sinner puts me squarely in the path of God's destruction.
4. Jesus is my perfect solution. He died for the ungodly.
5. God will still destroy evil, but I will be spared. I am not evil.

If I miss any of these steps, if any of these five (5) things don't move from intellectual intelligence to heart-knowledge, then Christ's transformation and healing will not be mine. It seems to me that this is what it means to be a Christian.

To coin a business phrase, we need an "elevator speech," that could be given on an elevator ride. It needs to convey all the pertinent details ... and be compelling. Why don't we have one?

1 Peter 3:15-16 tells us to, "... Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, Are we? Are are we - who call ourselves Christ-followers - always prepared to do that? I will confess that I'm troubled by this proposition. It seems that my readiness is lacking somewhat.

Oh sure, if you give me some time, I can get out my Bible, dig in my journals and come up with a few statements (such as those above) which I deem to be brilliant. But is that what it means to be "always prepared?" Somehow I don't think so.

Christians in America have this problem; it's a challenge really. We need to develop a laser-sharp focus on what it is to be a Christ follower. It needs to become crystal clear to us why Christ matters in our lives, in our world or even in our thinking. Our thoughts and perspectives need to be shaped by Him.

Shouldn't the story of Jesus become the story of you and I?

No comments:

Post a Comment