Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Obama's World

Maybe you saw it. This past Sunday, while overseas, President Obama pledged to eliminate nuclear weapons ... across the whole of the planet. Of course that's a very good thing. I have to confess that I am a bit skeptical though. I wonder when he's going to do that. Maybe he'll get to eliminate nuclear weapons from the planet - after he saves General Motors - or sells Chrysler to the French.

I know, it sounds a bit cynical. He is a brilliant man. I wonder if he knows his own limitations though. He's going to give us health insurance, issue the greatest debt the world has ever known, save the banking system, fix foreign relations with some of the most hostile nations on earth, create millions of jobs, cut taxes, increase revenue, fix global warming and so forth.

Do you think that President Obama is really setting appropriate expectations amongst his constituents? I hate to be cynical, and I certainly want to be patriotic. But I really have to wonder if maybe the aggressive agenda that the Obama administration has could flame out in short order. It's like running a race. You don't sprint. You pace yourself so that you can sustain yourself for the duration of the entire race.

Mr. Obama, are you doing that? Are you pacing yourself? What wisdom are you depending on as you move through each day? I suspect the problem is quickly becoming that the Obama agenda of change is proving to be such a stretch of our imagination. He's promising so much that people may not expect him to actually deliver anything!

We need to pray for our President and for his key leaders. We need to ask God to open the right doors for them ... and to close the wrong doors for them. Perhaps we need to pray the Serenity Prayer, asking God to give them the wisdom to know the difference between the things that can be changed and the things that can not be changed. I don't know about you, but I want this president to succeed. And I confess that I worry we will only know his successes as we measure his failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment