Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2009

23rd Psalm

Have you ever read the 23rd Psalm? You know, it's the one they always print on the flyer handed out at funerals. Let's take a look.

Psalm 23 says, "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

You know, in these turbulent times, it would be wise for us to consider this Psalm of King David. For you see, it was not written for the dead, but for the living. Let's dissect this Scripture and see what it has in store for us right now.

The Lord is my shepherd ...
He is watching out for me. He cares for me. I follow Him. He keeps me safe.

I shall not be in want ...
He has promised to provide for all of my true needs, and I know that He will.

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul.
God has good plans for me. They include rest and peace. In fact, His perfect will for me is that my life not be ruled by the tyranny of the urgent. Rather He asks me to rest in pleasant places. His path for me is one through peace and not tribulation. And when I am buffeted by life's storms, He restores my soul and renews me. He is my strength.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
God calls me away from the evil ways of the world. He calls me to do godly things and to righteous living. And as I become more righteous ... He is glorified.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death ...
The valley of the shadow of death. Yes, that is where I live. It is where I work. It is where I shop. It is where my kids go to school. Bad things happen there. People get hurt. It's where IBM lays off 5,000 people and moves their jobs to India - while making a stellar profit. It's where GM goes bankrupt and the stock market tanks our retirement funds. It's where kids tease my child mercilessly at school, and drunk drivers threaten our innocent lives with their carelessness. It's where drug lords traffic substances that enslave and ruin lives. Yes, this valley of the shadow of death - it is one busy place. But nothing good ever happens there.

I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Despite my days in this shadowy valley, stalked by evil on every side and at every turn - I have nothing to fear. The evil cannot harm me, even though it is menacing and intimidating. I can take comfort in the fact that God is with me, and in the knowledge that Christ has already defeated the evil in this valley. God's ways of guiding and correcting me lead me through the valley of the shadow of death successfully. I will be comfortable on the other side. I will look back and see that it was silly to have been worried or frightened. I will be comforted. So I will fear no evil. I will fear no layoffs. I will fear no foreclosures. I will fear no housing slumps. I will fear no tax increases. I will fear no wars. I will fear no loss of retirement savings. I will fear no stock losses. I will not fear old age, poor health or the lack of decent health insurance. For Thou art with me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
Jesus has gone on ahead, leaving the Holy Spirit to guide, correct and comfort me. Why did Jesus go on ahead of me? To prepare a place in the heavens for me. It is a table of feast, and not famine. It is a table of victory and not defeat. My enemies will walk with me right up to the table - but they will never be seated at that table with me. It is my Father's table. There is no place there for my enemies - even if they think there is. No, the place at that table is reserved just for me.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
God has chosen me specifically to be His own. I am ordained, anointed, sacred and holy. He makes it so. The oil is His special blessing, reserved for His people. It calls me out of the ordinary and into the extraordinary. My cup is full of blessings. My life is more blessed than I ever imagined. Certainly I am more blessed than I can comprehend, and more blessed than I really ever could deserve. I am rich.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
God has told us that God knew me even before I was formed in the womb. Even then, He already had a plan for my life. It was a plan for good, and not bad. It was a plan for joy and not sorrow. No, God has chosen me to be His, to be His special blessing. His goodness and His mercy stalk me more relentlessly than the merciless evil that stalks me. They are what overtakes me each day. And my plans are to live with God forever. They are His plans as well.

So you see, it seems rather odd that we find Psalm 23 at funerals. It seems a more appropriate verse for births and baptisms, as it is the psalm for the living. As you walk through your own "valley of the shadow of death" (and we all have them), be mindful of Psalm 23. These intimidating circumstances have a bark that is far worse than their bite. No matter what happens you will be fine if you belong to the Lord. It is His promise. And His promises are true no matter what the state of the economy is or what the politicians and news are wringing their hands over.

No comments:

Post a Comment