Search This Blog

Friday, December 05, 2008

Praying for Obama

I blogged earlier this week about my fantasy of a presidential appointment to be the "Secretary of Discipleship." It's a pretty sure bet that this plan of mine won't be happening. But I will not be deterred. You see, I have a plan.

I'm going to pray. I hope you'll join me. Let's pray often and with passion for our new President. Why? Well, for starters, it's part of God's will for me (and you). "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions and giving of thanks be made for all the men; for kings and for all that are in authority ... (1 Timothy 2:1-2) Perhaps more selfishly though, it is something that I can do - which I know will have purpose, meaning and impact. (And that's pretty rewarding!)

How should we pray for Barack Obama as our new President?
  • Let's pray for his protection, health and physical safety, and ask for the same for his family.

  • Let's pray for him in his roles as a father and husband - that he not be delinquent as a father or husband while he's busy being President.

  • Let's pray that he would have a hunger for God and the things of God.

  • Let's pray that he would seek God and seek (and find) godly counsel.

  • Let's pray that he will have discernment in forming his cabinet and staff, and in all other important decisions he is called upon to make.

  • Let's pray that God will give him wisdom in leading this nation and addressing the key problems and issues the way God would want them addressed.

  • Let's pray that during the months ahead, and during his presidency, the United States will become a nation turning to God in repentance and obedient faith.
So will you join me in this prayer effort? If so, we can all be playing the role of "Ministers of Prayer."

No comments:

Post a Comment