Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2008

Stephen Prothero

If you follow this blog, you might have surmised that I'm a voracious reader. I read a lot of things - books, magazines, blogs, news feeds, etc. I am the only man I know who spends time with an old fashioned newspaper each day as well.

There is much in this world that is interesting. There is much in this world that is relevant. There are many in this world who have something to say - that is worth listening to. I am, of course, aware of the fact that the opposites of these statements are also true. One has to use some discernment and quickly move through the noise to the meat when you are consuming information or thoughts of others (which is what I believe reading represents).
Now it is not often that I find myself in a position to recommend a writer. George Barna is one I've often referred to. But it is rare that I can name someone whom I think is consistently worth the read. I may have found a new one though, that is worthy of this.

Stephen Prothero (http://www.stephenprothero.com/) consistently writes about things that I believe matter. Moreover, he appears to be consistently engaged in a quest for truth. When I use the word "consistently," it means I haven't caught him spewing drivel; whining or making statements that are ignorant of truth. Mind you, that doesn't always mean he's right. But it means he's consistently intentional about not being wrong. (Which is more than I can say for a lot of writers.)

Stephen Prothero is the chair of the department of religion at Boston University and the author of Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know — And Doesn't.

If you want an example of why I recommend this guy, look at Stephen's editorial in USA Today, on what Islam really looks like. (http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/06/the-islam-you-d.html) He tries to put the Islam of the world into perspective with the Islam that we Americans may perceive. I think he does a very good job of it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment