Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On Children

For those of us who have children in our lives, whether they are our own, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, or even students ... it's worth thinking about their role in the overall scheme of life (aside from reproduction of course).

Whenever your children seem out of control, you can take comfort in the notion that even God's omnipotence did not apparently extend to His own children. Don't believe me? Let's take a look.

After creating heaven and earth, God created Adam and Eve. And the first thing He said was, "Don't."

"Don't what?" Adam replied.

"Don't eat the forbidden fruit." God said.

"We have forbidden fruit? Hey Eve ... we have forbidden fruit!"

"No way!"

"Yes, way! God told me Himself. And He said not to eat it."

"Why?" they asked God. "Because I'm your Father and I said so!" God replied (perhaps wondering why he hadn't stopped creation after the elephants).

A short time later, God saw His children having an apple break. And He was ticked.

"Didn't I tell you not to eat the fruit?" God asked.

"Uh huh," Adam replied.

"Then why did you eat it?" ask the Father.

"I don't know." said Eve. "She started it." said Adam.

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

Having had it with the two of them, God's punishment was that Adam and Eve should have children of their own. Thus the pattern was set and has never changed.

If you have persistently and lovingly tried to give your children wisdom - and they haven't taken it, don't be too hard yourself. If God had trouble raising His children, what makes you think it would be a cakewalk for you?

But alas, I love my kids. And I am purposefully as nice to them as I know how to be. After all, I'm mindful of the fact that one of these days they'll get to choose my nursing home!

No comments:

Post a Comment