Search This Blog

Friday, December 01, 2006

Getting To Be An Extraordinary Christian

Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. - Hebrews 12:11

You know, there are Bible verses that seem to speak, but understanding what they're saying takes some work. This is one of those verses. Most of the time, you have to wrestle with them, reflect on them and finally figure out that their meaning is deep and impactful. When I look at this verse, I begin to understand much about my relationship with God.

You see, I think I have always known that God was calling me out to be different than the ordinary. We're supposed to be different than the world we live in. But I feel different even amongst most Christians. In fact, rarely do I find what anyone would call my contemporaries even in church. And then there is my life experience. I don't think my life is any worse than anyone else's. In fact, it's true that my life is more blessed than most. Yet somehow I sense that I experience more pain --- that my refinement process is sharper and more acute than most. I can't prove that this is true. But I am pretty sure that it is.

Then along comes Hebrews 12:11 to offer some precious insight into the dilemma I think I have. It explains that if God has singled you out to be a special object of His grace you may expect Him to honor you with stricter discipline and greater suffering than less favored ones are called upon to endure. If God sets out to make you an unusual Christian He is not likely to be as gentle as He is usually pictured by the popular teachers.

A sculptor does not use a manicure set to reduce the rude, unshapely marble to a thing of beauty. The saw, the hammer and the chisel are cruel tools, but without them the rough stone must remain forever formless and unbeautiful.

To do His supreme work of grace within you He will take from your heart everything you love most. Everything you trust in will go from you. Piles of ashes will lie where your most precious treasures used to be.

"Lord, give me the grace to withstand 'the saw, the hammer and the chisel.' I want the finished product; I often chafe under the process. I submit myself today to Your working. Amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment