Search This Blog

Monday, November 27, 2006

A Victorious Defeat

There is an odd story in the Bible that has always bugged me. It's about Jacob wrestling all night. I was never clear about whom he was wrestling with or who won or what Jacob learned from it all. To put it bluntly, I'd read the story and just not get it!

Then Jacob was left alone; and a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of day. Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him He touched the socket of his hip; and the socket of Jacob's hip was out of joint as He wrestled with him.
--Genesis 32:24-25


I think I've figured it out though. Satan never quite knows how to deal with a humble man. Usually he is just dealing with proud, stubborn people. A meek, humble man (or women) just wouldn't fit his model. The "duh" in this one is that a truly humble person has God fighting on his side--who can win against God?

Strange as it may seem we often win over our enemies only after we have first been soundly defeated by the Lord Himself!

God often conquers our enemies by conquering us. When God sees that we must meet a deadly opponent, He assures our victory by bringing us down in humbleness at His own feet. After that, everything is easy. We can fight with His power instead of with our own.

So my prayer today is simply, "Lord, help me to submit willingly to You, in complete humility, without struggle or wrestling. Then You fight for me against my strong enemy. I'll trust the outcome to you and celebrate Your victory. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment